Don’t let the chilly weather keep you indoors all winter. There’s loads of fun stuff to do in the adventurous outdoors at Port Fairy – just bring along your warm jackets and scarves – and your loved one!
Couples can cherrypick from our selection local winter fun activities or do them all.
For couples who like to mix it up, Port Fairy offers something for everyone from art galleries, swanky shopping, delicious culinary treats, surf fishing, and whale watching to romantic river walks. Gardens Caravan Park is in the heart of Port Fairy, with the Moyne River, Botanic Gardens and East Beach a hand-holding stroll away.
A perfect setting for romance
Our quaint village is the perfect setting for your romantic winter escape.
The town itself is a charming historic fishing village known for its arts, crafts, antiques and boutique shopping. Heralding from another time, impressive Norfolk pines line the wide streets, while heritage cottages and quaint stone churches set the scene for your idylic romantic winter escape.
Dining options to everyones tastes
Select from a superb range of dining options with menus to satisfy every couple’s tastes.
As for wondering what to eat, take your pick of takeaway goodies, soak in the café village life or dress to impress at the trendy restaurants. Your degustation delights will be satisfied with Port Fairy’s delightful hospitality and tasty menu choices.
Some dining options include:
- Fen: A intimate dining experience that offer a multi-course produce driven tasting menu, strongly influenced by the rugged coastal landscape of the area.
- Time and Tide Tearoom: A few minutes drive out of the historic seaside town of Port Fairy you will find Time and Tide Tearoom perched in a cracking spot overlooking the Southern Ocean.
- The Oak & Anchor Hotel: Chef Matt Murphy, Owner Ally Richardson & Chef Tony Jackson with their 70+ years in the industry have combined to deliver three seasonal, yet beautifully refined menus to leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Don’t for Port Fairy’s Art Trail
For couples with art in their hearts, Port Fairy is home to an innovative and inspiring artist community. These talented artisans showcase their work in a unique art-focused walking tour.
Visit over ten galleries and studios where you will view art created from a variety of mediums. You might even want to purchase a piece to remember your romantic weekend getaway in Port Fairy!
- The Port Fairy Art Map: is a collection of galleries and studios open to the public in an easy walking distance in Port Fairy. Spend some time strolling around Port Fairy visiting the various galleries and studios in town.
Boutique shopping in Port Fairy is a must.
The unique and chic stores in Port Fairy will have you fitted out like a star in their amazing outfits.
Boutique shopping in Port Fairy is a must. There are various quaint and quirky stores to explore together in this gorgeous village. It is perfect for shopping, browsing and discovering chic little outlets stocking a marvellous array of fashion labels.
- Penny and Reiby: pays homage to our beautiful town, Port Fairy, by offering vintage finds and quality wares.
- Mason & Francis: stocks women’s clothing & accessories, specialising in Australian, NZ and European made labels & natural fibres.
- Benning Boutique: offers a fabulous range of labels sourced locally and internationally, catering for the 35 plus age group ranging from casual to event wear.
Take in Nature in all its forms
Hold hands and savour the sounds of nature and water trickling by as you walk along the Moyne River.
A sightseer’s haven, the brilliant views of Moyne River are best enjoyed with a stroll along the historic wharf.
Take a coffee break at The Wharf @ Port Fairy, which offers fabulous outdoor and indoor dining seating options perfect for either a sunny winter’s day or a chilly, gusty inside-by-the-fire one.
If you fancy yourselves as saltwater anglers, try a spot of surf fishing at East Beach, or cast a line in the Moyne River.
For those more adventurous couples, hire a boat and take a chance to do some ocean fishing, catching anything from a barracouta, flathead, snapper, gummy shark, squid and more.
If a meander along the beach is more your style, there are amazing beaches to choose from.
Take in the fresh ocean air and discover walking trails along the famed shipwreck coast, Griffiths Island lighthouse, Pea Soup and South Beach, Killarney Beach, Yambuk Beach and Lake Walk and Peterborough Walking Track.
Keep an eye out for the local echidnas, blue tongue lizards, brown snakes and copperhead snakes that all call Port Fairy home.
And don’t forget it’s whale season!
Now is your chance to see the giant humpback whales breaching to sun themselves.
If boats aren’t on your romantic radar, you can still go whale watching from the foreshore. From June to September you’ll spot Southern Right, Humpback, Blue and the occasional Orca returning to our southern shores for their annual babymoon.
Port Fairy is one of the best whale spotting vantage points along Victoria’s famous Whale Trail.
Whatever you choose to experience on your couple’s winter weekend away you’ll know it will be an adventure you’ll always remember.
Winter in Port Fairy exudes traditional village charm and dramatic coastline with misty mornings, cosy evenings and crisp sunny days.